Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Lesson Learned: All is never right with the world. Just when you thought it was over....

After my last post, I had spent a week returning to my regular routine, especially my tri-weekly jog/walk. I even participated in the Run For Life 5K on Jan 22 (3.2 miles in 37 min, thank-you-very-much). I was preparing for a monthly workshop on Project Based Learning at UCLA when all of a sudden, my guts exploded. OK-figurative speaking, but still. It started on Tues night. I thought I had eaten something that disagreed with me, so I slept and went to school the next day. During 4th, one student complained that he was tired. I looked at him and said, "I can beat that," and told them that it was all I could do to keep my breakfast from coming up. That got everyone's attention! I would've gone home, but everyone (yes, everyone!) was in an all-day meeting and no one was available. So, instead of attending the staff meeting after school, I went home and napped for 2hrs (which I never do). Also, I didn't drink my coffee (which I never do) and I went to bed at 7pm (which I never do). On Thursday I was feeling better, but my tummy felt tender, as if I spent the night vomiting (which I never did). I promised myself that if I didn't feel better on Fri, I'd go to the Dr. , so I did. The lab folk collected blood and other bodily fluids (use your imagination--too gross!) and I got the lab results today. Turns out, the natives had decided to take over my large intestines. Although feeling better, I'm still tender. If I'm not 100% in a couple days, the Dr. instructed me to fill a prescription.

Needless to say, I took Fri and yesterday off. Now I'm far behind and have no idea what the heck I'm doing! I mean, I was finally getting back in the groove, and now I have to start over!

I grounded my 6th period class because the substitute basically wrote that if he could, he would've had everyone stay after school 30 min to pick up trash. I didn't scream and yell, like I normally do. Instead, I chilled. Boy, they knew their collective a$$ was grass. We wrote down the definitons for "agrumentative, argue, respect, consideration, and discipline." I said that if I can't trust the entire class, then they won't do any labs. The other classes were going to build Alka-Seltzer rockets, but not them. Heheheheh (evil laugh). I was calm and cool when I said that. It totally got their attention. When a couple of the good/decent kids asked if there was any way they could do the lab, I relented so far as to say that they had to show me that they were trustworthy from now until the end of Thurs. If the entire class was good, then they would do the lab. If one/two weren't, then I'd deal with them, but the rest were a-go. If I couldn't discern any difference, then no-go.

I guess we'll see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home