Saturday, November 06, 2004

5 November 2004

Lesson Learned: Accentuate the positive. It could help me live longer.

Well, this message arrived at a very important juncture in my career:

Friday, November 5

A New Attitude A sunny disposition may help protect you against age-related physical decline.

Positive thinking may help older people remain physically active and strong, whereas a negative mental attitude may quickly lead to cognitive deterioration, a new study concluded. To see the glass as half full, spend time contemplating the good things in your life and try to avoid repeatedly mulling over negative experiences.

Bleh. I had a very rough Wed this week. So bad, that I asked the science chairperson for advice on how to keep your cool when the kids get you frustrated. She basically said that last year's 7th graders (my present 8th graders) were the worst bunch of kids she had ever seen in her 20+ years of teaching, including her time as a special day teacher (working with students with learning and behavioral disabilities who cannot be mainstreamed)! In fact, she had sent a student to the principal's office last year and after class met with him and the vice principal and chewed him out in front of the VP, she was that upset with him! I will admit that hearing her story made me feel better. Here is an amazing teacher who seems so calm and in control who just totally lost it. She told me what I was feeling was very normal, and she felt the same way often last year.

However, I don't want to always feel that way! It's bringing me down. On Wed, I had two beers and a fistful of chocolate to settle my nerves. Yesterday and today I tried to focus on the positive behaviors. The kids aren't evil; they are an immature group who cannot control themselves so you need to ride them each and every minute of each and every day. I cannot relax in any class. In fact, in my afternoon classes, I cannot even stand at the door like we are supposed to (to monitor the hallways), because the students in the room just wander around, hitting each other and whatnot. I do not trust them. According to today's health tip, my job may prematurely make me old and decrepit. I'll be that cranky old lady, mumbling to herself and yelling at strangers for chewing gum.....oh, I do that already! :-)

So, in order to stay sane, I should "
...see the glass as half full, spend time contemplating the good things in your life and try to avoid repeatedly mulling over negative experiences." Ready, here goes:

The GOOD things in life (ranking not in any particular order):
1. Tim
2. Getting married--was about to give up on that!
3. Knitting
4. Employed--big plus!
5. Lost weight--55+lbs gone for good, thank you very much!
6. Good friends--Marcy, Crystal, Jessica, etc.
7. Work with good people--see above, and many more!
8. The girls--sometimes, the rats make my evenings.
9. Can now run 3+miles at one time--hurray!
10. Big wool sweaters and Ugg boots
11. Those of you who read my blog--thanks, Chris!
12. Carpinteria/Santa Barabara--beautiful beach communities
13. A large and healthy (mostly) family who all love me very much.

<> Wow! it worked! I feel much better now. Just gotta remember not to let the turkeys get me down.

:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home