Friday, September 22, 2006

Personally, I don't think so

OK, so some people have different opinions than me. Fine. Aaaaannnnnd some people take offense more easily than others. I had never thought that was me, but I was actually offended today. By Brad. Go figure.

Being unhappy with his students' quiz scores on experimental groups/control groups he decided to have them make paper airplanes, fly them (control), change something and fly them again (experimental). Wow, you're probably thinking, I wish I was allowed to make and fly paper airplanes in class when I was a kid. Yeah yeah yeah, we all think that, but that's not the point.

The point is that Brad thought to give the kids a target to aim for. With this in mind he got one of those tri-fold-cardboard-science fair-presentation thingys, put it on one side of the room, drew a picture of two tall skyscrapers (think Twin Towers) and HAD HIS KIDS AIM THEIR PLANES AT THE TOWERS.

My jaw must've hit the floor. I felt like all the air was sucked out of the room. I couldn't raise my eyebrows any higher and neither could I believe what he did. While judging what was best to say (or not to say) my student teacher, who grew up in New York, made a comment. I can't remember what it was but I do remember agreeing with the sentiment. I could see Brad looking at the both of us and not understanding why we were reacting that way. Thankfully, that was that and we all got on with the day.

If this was some other teacher sharing this story I'd find it funny. Funny in the God-I-can't-believe-he-actually-did-that sort of way. But it's my former student teacher we're talking about!

Other than that, it was a good day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG. I have just two words for him: COMMON SENSE. Oh no, I'm wrong. Four words: Do you want tenure?? Hopefully, no parents call in and rat him out, and hopefully he uses better judgement in the future...

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home