Saturday, August 05, 2006

Workout 5 Aug 2006

Still feeling empowered from my half marathon, I've decided to begin training for a sprint triathlon. Guess I'm just a glutton for punishment! Seriously, I thought it would be a good way for me to use other muscle groups than the ones used in running.

So, today was Day 1! I swam 30min, not really pushing it, but not trying to rest too long in-between laps. Oh, yeah, I swam in the community pool. Didn't want to go in the ocean until I got a bit stronger. My shoulders will be telling me off tomorrow, but they feel OK right now.

Later this afternoon decided I really should ride my bike, too. I mean, it's a nice bike and I'm embarrassed by how clean it is. Tim decided to ride with me which was nice, as he never rides with me being such a better cyclist, but since his back is tight I guess he thought that staying at my pace will be nice and easy (which it was, for him). In the middle of it I said to him, "Wow, I really don't have any biking muscles," to which he answered, "Clearly." *sigh* Had to tell him that I wanted him to say something supportive. "Well, you're working on it (getting biking muscles) aren't you?" And, yes, I was. Only thing is that this race is next month near the end of Sept.

Now, I'm wondering if I have enough time to get in shape. Can I do this? This will be my third year in this race and I want to do more than just finish: I want to beat last year's time. It would be great to finish in the top 50% of my age group!

I have learned that long distance running is way harder than sprint triathlons. I know I will finish this race. At least that's something, right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

First visit to your blog. Don't feel bad about any finish in any tri. At least you are doing it. I am consistently last in my age group, yet I continue to come back for more. You will do fine, especially with your running background. A hint: the stronger runner you are, probably the faster your "biking muscles" will get in shape. Your legs are stronger because of your running, and I find the more running I do, the easier it is to bike. Good luck.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Janola said...

Thanks for checking out my humble blog and for the reassurance. Too bad my sinus infection has reduced my training time, but my husband is certain that I will do fine, and I'm inclined to agree. I know I'll do OK.

WTG on continuing to race.Just read your profile, so good luck whenever you decide to compete in your first IM. :-)

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home