Saturday, August 05, 2006

Workout 5 Aug 2006

Still feeling empowered from my half marathon, I've decided to begin training for a sprint triathlon. Guess I'm just a glutton for punishment! Seriously, I thought it would be a good way for me to use other muscle groups than the ones used in running.

So, today was Day 1! I swam 30min, not really pushing it, but not trying to rest too long in-between laps. Oh, yeah, I swam in the community pool. Didn't want to go in the ocean until I got a bit stronger. My shoulders will be telling me off tomorrow, but they feel OK right now.

Later this afternoon decided I really should ride my bike, too. I mean, it's a nice bike and I'm embarrassed by how clean it is. Tim decided to ride with me which was nice, as he never rides with me being such a better cyclist, but since his back is tight I guess he thought that staying at my pace will be nice and easy (which it was, for him). In the middle of it I said to him, "Wow, I really don't have any biking muscles," to which he answered, "Clearly." *sigh* Had to tell him that I wanted him to say something supportive. "Well, you're working on it (getting biking muscles) aren't you?" And, yes, I was. Only thing is that this race is next month near the end of Sept.

Now, I'm wondering if I have enough time to get in shape. Can I do this? This will be my third year in this race and I want to do more than just finish: I want to beat last year's time. It would be great to finish in the top 50% of my age group!

I have learned that long distance running is way harder than sprint triathlons. I know I will finish this race. At least that's something, right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

First visit to your blog. Don't feel bad about any finish in any tri. At least you are doing it. I am consistently last in my age group, yet I continue to come back for more. You will do fine, especially with your running background. A hint: the stronger runner you are, probably the faster your "biking muscles" will get in shape. Your legs are stronger because of your running, and I find the more running I do, the easier it is to bike. Good luck.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Hi! I'm Janola. said...

Thanks for checking out my humble blog and for the reassurance. Too bad my sinus infection has reduced my training time, but my husband is certain that I will do fine, and I'm inclined to agree. I know I'll do OK.

WTG on continuing to race.Just read your profile, so good luck whenever you decide to compete in your first IM. :-)

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home