Sunday, July 23, 2006

Heat is on!

Yesterday I ran 10 miles! It totally sucked, though. OK, maybe not totally, but it wasn't as fun as my long runs usually are and I blame the weather. It was muggy at 7am. :^( I drove to my usual spot, at the end of the courts and the beginning of the bird refuge, ate my bagel and coffee. Then, did my warm up walk to the bathroom and back, crossed the street, and took off!.... saw that my interval timer wasn't set, so fixed it, restarted, and then took off!

I started out slow, but feeling good. What was remarkable was the absence of the usual coastal breeze. The thought of cutting the run in half and finishing the rest in the evening did cross my mind but I pushed it aside. There would be no "halving" of the race next week, and I'll be participating come rain, shine, or heat, so I just kept running. I can't run without thinking of this old Christmas special, where a young Santa Claus teaches a washed-up warlock how to walk: just put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walking out the do-o-oor! Well, running 10 miles is putting one foot in front of the other over and over and over and over and over again.

Back to the heat. It was so muggy and warm! I must've drank at least 750mL of water during the run, hitting every water fountain I passed, wetting my hat before leaving. I even used the beach showers at miles 3.5/7.5, getting as much of me wet without wetting my feet. The water felt good at the moment, but quickly became part of the overall humidity. Finally the breeze picked up, but that was at mile 8 when I was already worn out by heat and exertion. That doesn't mean I didn't appreciate it; but by then I was walking 5 min and running 6 min. I think I walked most of the last mile, but ran to my personal finish line, and was done. Hooray!

Treated myself to a Crystal Light Slurpee, which meant driving back the way I just ran to the nearest 7-11. Geez, that just put another perspective on my run. It's long! When I got home, Tim was nice enough to make lunch and dinner. I was feeling better by late afternoon, and even did some dishes before going to bed.

It felt nice to sleep in this morning.

1 Comments:

Blogger marcy said...

You seriously inspire me! Good luck with the last few runs before the race. I'm excited for you, and I know you are going to be awesome.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home