Thursday, July 27, 2006

Birth Control

Now that they've been gone for a week, I feel like I can tell you about my niece's (15) and nephew's (6) visit.

Overall, it was fun. We did a lot of touristy things, like going to the zoo and eating out. But I don't think we were fully prepared for the experience. For example, dinner became a stressful event. I'd make food hoping they would eat it. We both spent a lot of our home-time making sure neither of them was bored or getting in trouble. I did expand their little horizons a bit by making them help me in the kitchen a couple of times. I had my niece take over cooking her piece chicken, which she liked dry as a bone. She didn't seem comfortable doing it, but she did. And, no, she didn't eat the chicken. However, she did make her pizza the way she liked and ate it.

On Sunday afternoon, I remember turning to Tim and saying, I'm tired. Are you tired? He said he was and then we both wondered if parenting meant being exhausted for 20 years. Tim then exclaimed that having kids kind of makes you want to go to work. ;-)

You'd also have to have a sense of humor if you have kids. After rinsing off the sand from the beach, my nephew opens the bathroom door to let us know he's done. He's standing in a lake, about one inch deep, towel wrapped around him. I look at him, look at the floor, and ask him, "What happened?" He kind of looks at the floor, splashes in it for a second, and says, "I don't know." I just laughed because I knew there was no point in getting upset over it. And, it didn't take long to clean it up. Luckily, we've got a lot of towels.

So, eventhough they are both wonderful people and will become amazing adults, and we did have fun with them, in the end they didn't change our minds about not having kids of our own.

Rats are way easier. Right now, Monkey Rat is in her laundry bag, making a nest out of stinky rat bedding. Isn't that cute?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home