Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I'll never get that time back

You know, I normally love going back to work. Everyone's happy and relaxed, glad to see each other and full of energy.

Then, the meetings begin and it's like a blackhole that slowly drains all the joy out of everyone. Now, believe me when I say that I like to take a PollyAnna point of view at these times, but even my half full glass began to look mostly empty by the end of the day. First, the new superintendent (really, she was just hired 5 days ago) gave us all a pep-talk, full of optimism and team spirit. This was great. I love hearing how it is everyone's job, everyone from the custodians to the lunch ladies to the principals, to educate our children. Cool, I'm so down with that. Then we got to hear a lecture from a lawyer about 504's and what they mean. This was pretty good information and he was very illuminating, especially during the last 30min of his 2.5 hour lecture.

Lunch break. Finally! a chance to chat and visit with other staff members! Baby pictures were passed around and tall tales of summer were shared. It was really nice.

One more lecture. Another 3 hours by someone who works for some educational testing company. We, as a district, are getting reviewed/audited or something like that this year so I'm pretty sure this has something to do with it. Ya' know, the speaker used to be a teacher and part of me really hates those kinds of speakers because they always say, "When I was a teacher, blah-blah-blah" and "I understand where you're coming from because as a teacher myself, la-dee-da-dee-da." In my heart, I truly want to believe them, that they completely remember what challenges we face in the classroom every day, how school or district-wide politics sometimes come into play, but part of me can't. I guess it's like the kids who don't believe it when I say that I understand what they're going through because I went through such-and-such when I was 13.
I got a little something from her lecture as well, but didn't think I needed to sit through all 3 hours of it.

And part of me really doesn't want to be one of those teachers. I never want to feel that "there's nothing you can tell me that I haven't heard of before," or "you say that now, but in 5 years' time you'll be preaching something new that I'm already doing right now." As a teacher, I think the most important thing is for me to always be a student.

This will be my 5th year teaching. Looking back, I can see how much I have grown since my very First Day of School. And there is still so much for me to learn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home