Monday, January 16, 2006

Why tri? Hmmm....that's a good question.

Well, I've been reading Tri-Geek Kahuna's blog for a couple weeks now and he posed this question to his "fans" and I've been trying to answer it, just for myself. Let's start at the beginning....

...I don't know what caused her to suggest it, but a friend of ours said, hey, there's this triathlon right in your own backyard. It's nice and short. You should go for it.

Not sure why she said it. I guess I've been trying to get in shape for the first time in my life and maybe we were sharing exercise schedules or something like that. Anyway, I gave it a whirl. My "training" consisted of several swims in the ocean, a couple of bike rides, and a few jogs. Race day arrived and lo and behold I finished....and didn't collapse at the end! I think I was hooked since then. That was over a year and a half ago and I consider that as the beginning of my life as an athelete. I will admit that I haven't really lost any weight since then, but then again I really don't have much to lose since joining WW and losing 50+lbs. And keeping it off, thank you very much. The difficult part is convincing myself that I am no longer a heavy person trying to lose weight. I'm a fit person with a healthy lifestyle. (yeah, boy, you better believe it)

OK-back to the question. Since then I've done 2 more triathlons, some 5Ks, and one 10K. I'm planning on doing a 5miler race in Feb. The first tri of the year will be in Mar. I plan on participating in a half marathon later on this year. So why tri? It gives me something to shoot for, ya know. Last year I just wanted to finish. Racing in general keeps me training and exercising 'cuz I know I would just slowly sink back into my couch potato ways. This year I have some times to beat and it aint gonna happen if I slack off. Hey, I now have racing goals. Next up is a full marathon. Not this year, maybe next year?? One day I would love to finish in the top 10% of my age group. Who knows? Maybe I'll be ready for an Ironman before I'm 50. But for that to happen I have to keep on keepin' on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home