Thursday, September 25, 2003

Last day as a special ed teacher. The aides said I did a real good job, and I felt that I had earned the kids’ respect, too. Tomorrow I am going to be an English teacher. Not like the one you had in junior high. To give you an idea of what I mean, this teacher has two Reading for Success classes. Re: reading for kids who can’t read. That will be challenging. But, I’ve spent all week with kids who have challenged me, so I guess I know what I’m in for. And, really, these are nice kids who just need extra attention. Suddenly I have an image out of a book I read when in high school, from The Dragons of Pern, when the eggs hatch and the golden dragon claws and maims the maidens, except one who seems to understand it. So these kids are the baby dragons and I am the understanding maiden..... I guess. Some people do seem to believe that I work very well with these types of students.

Met with Darleen afterwards for happy hour at a local bar. We spent a social hour there, enjoying apps and Cuban mojitos. That was one tasty drink! Someone somewhere described it as the devil disguised as a cocktail, it is that light, almost refreshing. One of those drinks that makes you think, "Oh, that was pretty good, think I’ll have another." Which I did. So you could say I'm writing this blog under the influence, good thing I didn't drive home. Thank goodness for spell checking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home