Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Prehistoic (wo)man goes shopping

Not knowing how to go into this, let me just come out with it: I'm fiddlin' with my diet (first entry)for various reasons. My visit with my doctor is what brought this on. According to him, I have a small frame (which was news to me) and am about 10-15lbs overweight. To be honest, he didn't tell me anything I didn't already know (except for the frame-thing). Now, he didn't say I had to lose weight. All the tests we had done earlier this year show that I am a healthy person. He did suggest that if I wanted to lose weight I should cut out grains. ("Even whole-wheat pasta?" "Yes, even whole-wheat pasta." "What about oatmeal?" "No grains, not even oatmeal.") This lead me to some thinking and I figured I'd give it a try this week. No grains, no breads, no pasta, no cake, no popcorn, no cereal, and *sigh* no beer. My doctor even suggested I forgo root veggies (no potato, no yam) and fruits with a lot of starches in them (no banana, no apples, no pears). Tim was very supportive of this change and even sent an essay in support of a diet low in grains (and sugar and beans and, well, you get it). Of course, this also led to some internet research (first by Tim then by me) on Atkins, South Beach, yadda yadda yadda. I mean, I've finally learned what a "raw foods" diet is and that there is a bunch of research saying that the digestive system of modern American (wo)man isn't necessarily adapted to deal with all the carbohydrates (in all their forms) that's forced into it.

In short I'm not sure which, if any, low carbohydrate program I'm following. I'm just not eating what my doctor told me to avoid. I do eat some citrus fruits and meats and a whole lotta raw veggies. He said you pretty much can't go wrong with raw veggies, especially carrots. Today ends day 4 of this...way-of-eating...and I feel like I've eaten more raw veggies than I've ever eaten in my entire life. But the strange thing is that I'm not really craving bready/pasta-y/chocolatey foods like I thought I would. So maybe there's something to this way of life.

The real test will begin on Monday when I go back to school. :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few years ago, d's cardiologist nixed rice, potatoes, pasta, and quantities of bread. It was a big adjustment at first, but now we scarcely even remember things like au gratin, french toast, and fried rice. My Asian husband has learned to love lettuce wraps.

Is hummus okay? Because I can tell you from experience that hummus and red peppers makes a delicious and convenient school lunch. . .

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home