Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Lesson learned: It's amazing how much you don't eat when you're busy and out of the house!


I got up this morning, and decided I needed a cardio workout today. Lately, I've been jogging, but for some reason chose to attend an aerobics class at the Y. I was ready for a new workout! I'm glad I joined the class. It almost kicked my butt! I wasn't panting or anything, but I was humbled. I thought I was somewhat in shape, but turns out that I'm not. It was also a challenge following the instructor. Some of the patterns were different and unknown to me. Luckily, they were repeated so I had some chance of catching up with the class. The nice thing was that there were lots of different levels in the class, so it wasn't like I was the only one lost or the slowest/fastest one in the class. It made me realize that my coordination needs some work!


After my workout, I hung out at the knitting store (re-reading this, it sounds funny to "hang" or "chill" at a knitting store!). The owner, BB, was nice enough to get me started on my sweater. She had to remind me how to cast and stuff, which was why I was there. My maternal grandmother taught me how to cast, knit, and pearl about 6 or 7 years ago, and I haven't done any knitting since then. I made 3 pairs of socks using 4 needles. Apparently, socks are a more advanced pattern, so the owner thought I was more experienced than I feel. Once I got about 4 inches of knitting done, she looked over my work and told me I did it incorrectly. When she showed me how to do it right, she said I could continue or start over correctly. I decided to do it the right way. I also learned that the style of my knitting is Continental as opposed to American (English). Makes sense, as my grandmother probably learned from her mother who learned from her mother who was from Italy.


This evening, I attended a curriculum fair at the county education office. I really enjoyed myself. Not only did I get exposed to a lot of good ideas being done by teachers in the area, but I got to visit and socialize with some people I haven't seen in a while. It always feels good to talk with other teachers. We understand where each other is coming from. Also, since I made no bones about my subbing, I may get requested by these teachers to sub for them. Heh-heh-heh…a little networking!

I made calzones for dinner, which were pretty good. As you know, I love cooking, but recipes requiring dough suck. Don't get me wrong; they are usually easy and very tasty, but they are really messy! I get flour everywhere: on me, the counter, dishes, cutting board, floor, etc.

Anyway, ended the evening with dance class, came home to hot dinner and sweet boyfriend (he did the dishes, hurray!). Now I’m writing to you, and will go to bed after I do a bit more knitting.

Tomorrow I sub. I will be a junior high social studies teacher. I wonder why they don't call it history anymore? It is a two-day gig. Let me tell you, I love feeling that I have something to do and somewhere to go. It gives me a sense of purpose. I feel very good about today, with all my errands and whatnots. I know I'll feel good about tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home