Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Where Oh Where Have I Been?

Why, right here of course! Ever since Christmas I've been bitten by the woolly knitting bug. I swear it's like an addiction. I see knitted things on people and think about the type of yarn and stitches used to make the garment...and not to myself but out-loud! I can't help it; now that the weather has actually turned seasonal it's nice to cuddle up at home in front of the tv with a warm ball of yarn on my lap and a cool thing being made by my own hands. Currently, I'm making a scarf. Oooooh, you're so impressed, but honestly I think I'm the only knitter that hasn't knitted up a bajillion scarves. I made one for a sister, one for me, one for Tim's sister, and one for my niece. Hers is way cool and what inflicted me with my current crafty urge.

Why knit? It's very relaxing and I like getting something out of it! It is yet another creative outlet--besides teaching. I don't think you all realize that knitting is the thing right now. I mean, check out this scarf. Who the heck would pay that much for a scarf that can be knitted with maybe $30 of yarn?? And, yes, I can so do that. With pompoms. In any color.

As fun and cool as knitting is, and in spite of the many free patterns and charts on the web, I've learned that not everyone is as dorky as me. For example, I wanted to make a purse with a rat on it but couldn't find any rat color charts to follow. :-( I will have to make my own someday. Perhaps my next project because...


...I'm knitting a DNA scarf! OK-it's not what you think. I wanted to do that too, what you're thinking: two skinny scarves with matching nucleotides, joined together in a double helix...but that's too hard. I settled on just a black scarf with all a small fragment of the DNA sequence to hemoglobin. One strand with pink letters and the other in white. I think it'll look good and will have to post a pic for you when it's done.

Other than that, I'm finally getting over a headcold and I got a new student teacher.

Oh, and the kids are growing on me. A little. A last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home