Monday, January 28, 2008

The Scale--or, What I Hate About You

All my life I've lived in fear of one thing. Not SARS, not speaking in front of a crowd, not spiders. No. I'm afraid of a little squarish thing that lives in most people's bathrooms. I'm so afraid of its power that I will not allow one in my house, how's that for crazy? Really, I'm afraid of the three little numbers (which make one BIG number) that show up on its little face.

For years and years I've let The Scale judge me and its rarely ever nice. I remember one weigh-in at WeightWatchers where someone asked me how I was and I said, "I don't know. Let's find out." I couldn't believe it! Was my self-esteem really so low that I would let a machine dictate whether or not I had a good day/week? Yes. Yes, it was. And still is in some respects. No matter how strong I was, how many healthy food and exercise choices I made during the week it was all up to the scale. Oh please, GodoftheScale, be good to me. I have made many sacrifices in your honor this week. I promise to give up all chocolate if you shine on me today.

Well, I have made a discovery. That frikkin' thing doesn't own me! It doesn't even know me. There are many things it CANNOT and DOES NOT tell you.

So now, a list of

What The Scale Cannot Tell You


1. How much stronger I am now compared to last month. I have so much more upper body strength! Even my husband has noticed!

2. My arms are getting some nice muscle definition.

3. I could've had several beers at happy hour and I opted for ONE.

4. Pants and blouses fit me better than they did in September.

5. I haven't had a soda in 30 days. :-)

6. I haven't had Splenda (or other artificial sweeteners) since 1 Jan!

7. I am a good teacher. (So there, stress blahs!)

8. I am consciously choosing a healthy lifestyle.

9. I ran a mile in under 10 min (9:08, to be exact)!

10. My husband loves me.

11. I like me very much. Usually.

12. I have learned to love eating vegetables with every meal. Yes, even breakfast.

13. Not eating potato chips doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

14. There is so much of the grocery store I don't even walk through anymore!

15. People think I'm strange eating this way and I don't mind. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home