Saturday, May 17, 2008

2 Block Lunch

I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but all week I've been on the Zone Diet.

Normally I snub anything that smells like a fad diet. I've been very loyal to WeightWatchers and totally believe in their weight-loss philosophy. (My husband is the one who brought the Zone into the house.)

With that said, you may recall that I've been struggling to maintain my weight this year. I feel that it's mostly stress-related and hope that it'll go away once school is over. BUT...I couldn't wait. I wanted to get a jump on shedding those extra pounds and have been trying all school year. So, I decided to listen to my husband's advice of trying something different since my normal routine wasn't making me happy.

That meant reading a bit of the Zone Diet book (which reads a lot like the Atkin's Diet book I read 9 years ago). According to their math I should be consuming 8 "blocks" a day. Basically, a block is a measure of food, much like WW and their "Points" system. Also, on the Zone you can eat whatever you want, but the "blocks" kinda favor healthy foods, much like WW and their "Points" system.

This is what the Zone says I should be eating: three 2-block meals and two 1-block snacks. So for each meal I should eat 2 blocks of protein, 2 blocks of carbohydrates, and 2 blocks of fat.

This is what I had for lunch today. Oh, goody, I can make this as a list!!

Two Block Lunch

*1 c raw broccoli (1/2 block carbs)

*1 1/2 c chopped mushrooms (1/2 block carbs)

*4 1/2" of cucumber, chopped (1/2 block carbs, and, yes, I used a ruler)

*1/2 c chopped tomato (1/2 block carbs)
GRAND TOTAL: 2 BLOCKS CARBOHYDRATES

*1 oz bleu cheese (1 block protein)

*1 oz cooked flank steak (1 block protein; Hubby keeps a bucket o' cooked meat in the fridge)
GRAND TOTAL: 2 BLOCKS PROTEIN

*2 tbsp lowfat dressing (2 blocks fat; OK, I'll admit I fudged it a bit. Not the 2 tbsp but the number of blocks)

*Also added ~1 c lettuce and ~1/4c cilantro (0 blocks; FYI 1 block of lettuce = 6 bloody cups. That is a lot of lettuce to chow down, my friends, and yes, I did that this week!)

Well, there you have it. It's a lot of veggies and not a lot of meat. The bleu cheese was nice because it added a ton of flavor.

Is it working? I weigh-in tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home